Level 2 Certification Intermediate Skills Instructor
Length: A 3-day course that certifies an individual as an Intermediate Skills Instructor.
Cost: R11000 ZAR
Changes were made to the BICP curriculum, as of January 2020.
All BICP instructors who received their certification prior to 2020 are required to participate in the Level 1 Bridge course prior to attending a Level 2 certification.
The Level 2 course offers hands-on training, students will receive comprehensive training on the fundamental elements of mountain biking. Level 2 participants will create a foundation for teaching mountain bike skills clinics including personal riding skills, proper form, systematic methods, and terminology.
Completion of the course, in addition to passing a practical exam, will qualify an individual to:
- Instruct individual or group mountain bike skills clinics in a professional, systematic and safe manner
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a pre-ride observation session
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills
- Prepare and implement teaching plans, progressions, and goal planning for future skills clinics
- Make responsible choices when instructing mountain bike skills clinics
- Assist BICP instructors at clinics, camps, and events
Level 2 Prerequisites:
- Wilderness First Aid certification strongly recommended
- Three or more years of mountain bike experience
- Volunteer work or work experience in the bike-related industry
- BICP Level 1 Leader Certification
- Meet or exceed our BICP LEVEL 2 RIDING STANDARDS
- Proficiency in performing the riding skills you will learn to teach: Watch a brief video of the bike skills covered below
- At least 18 yrs. old
- Good communication skills
- A strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shift adjustments)
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking
Level 2 Course Skills:
- Front Wheel-Lift
- Rear Wheel-Lift
- Puddle Stomp
- Level Lift
- 1/4 Punch Front Wheel-Lift
- Descending for Intermediate to Advanced trails
- Roll Downs for Intermediate to Advanced trails
- High-Speed Cornering
- Berm Cornering
- Advanced Braking
Each student will be tested on their ability to demonstrate, teach, and provide feedback through error detection and corrections.
In order to pass the BICP Level 2 Bridge course, participants must pass a pretest, demonstrate an understanding of the material, perform a suitable teaching simulation, and pass a final written exam.
The certification holder must maintain their annual membership dues.
The certification holder must maintain a current basic First Aid / CPR training certification.
The Certification is valid for 4 years from the date issued.
An in-person re-certification course is required every 4 years.
Although this course is not to be taken as a personal skills training event, participants will end up honing their skills on the bike and gaining additional knowledge about mountain biking.