BICP Level 1 Certification
Become Certified & Join Our Ranks
Length: 3 days | Cost: R7500pp.
The course includes a classroom portion, field practice, and a practical exam.
The BICP Level 1 course offers hands-on training to prepare students for leading rides and mountain bike guiding in a group situation along with how to assess, demonstrate and instruct fundamental mountain biking skills.
In addition to comprehensive training on the fundamental elements of mountain biking, BICP Level 1 participants will create a foundation for future training courses including personal riding skills, proper form, systematic methods, and terminology.
Completion of the course, in addition to passing a practical exam, will qualify an individual to:
- Lead individual or group mountain bike rides in a professional, systematic and safe manner
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a pre-ride session
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills
- Prepare and implement action plans in an emergency situation
- Make responsible choices in picking trail routes for specific groups
- Assist BICP instructors at clinics, camps, and events
Level 1 Prerequisite Requirements:
- Current First Aid and CPR certificate
- Three or more years of mountain biking experience
- At least 18 years of age
- Good communication skills with a strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shifting adjustments)
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking
- Wilderness First Aid certification strongly recommended
BICP Level 1 Course Topics:
– Risk Management
– The Ten Fundamental Elements of Mountain Biking:
- Neutral Position, Ready Position, & Ready State
- Bike/Body Separation
- Pedal Position
- Eye Movement
- Gearing & Cadence
- Timing & Coordination
- Pressure Control
- Group Management
- Rider Assessment Through a Pre-ride Skills Session
- Instruction Principals
- Safety & Etiquette
The BICP Level 1 course now offers a section on creating teaching plans, plus an introduction to eight different skills. Once participants have completed their Level 1 evaluation, the BICP Instructor Trainer will take the group through a professional skills clinic.
It offers participants a chance to receive world-class personal instruction and see how an instructional clinic is performed from start to finish. It is part of the introduction to instruction and prepares participants for the next level of certification with the BICP.